It will be unlikely that your regular comprehensive or third party car policy will cover you for breakdown insurance, unless you have specifically requested this additional cover.
Although some from of cover is available through your current car insurer you may feel that these policies are not as comprehensive as those available through dedicated car breakdown insurance providers.
Every day hundreds of motorists up and down the length and breadth of the UK encounter roadside problems with their vehicles. Their are some measures that you can take take to make that couple of hours spent on the roadside waiting for breakdown assistance as bearable as possible:
- Try to pull off the road and park in a safe place
- Put your hazard warning lights on
- Put a warning triangle on the road at least 45 metres behind your broken down vehicle.
- do not use a warning triangle on the motorway
- Keep your sidelights on if it is dark or visibility is poor
- Lock the doors and call for help from mobile or from a payphone
- When on a motorway - Face oncoming traffic when you phone
- Try to stop near an emergency phone pulling onto the hard shoulder as far from the inside lane as possible
Please visit the Green Flag Breakdown guide